Monday, November 1, 2010

Dealing With The After Effects


When I first saw Marine I knew that nothing had changed between us.

At the same time I was sure he had seen things that would have a lasting impact on him and his outlook on things.

It had been a long seven months apart.

If your reading this you've probably been there and understand.

Marine is one to downplay most things. He doesn't like attention and he doesn't dramatize. He is a cold hard facts kinda guy.

I knew not to ask questions. He would talk about it if and when he was ready.

It started slowly.

Little bits of information; insights into what the months had been like for him.

He tells me of one particular event in which a comrade was seriously injured.

The guy survived but lost both his legs.

I just listen, not really knowing what to say.

Weeks later we are out one night with friends. Marine, who normally doesn't drink much, has one to many drinks.

As I drive home he breaks down.

"I think about it every day," he says. "I can't help it. Each and everyday I replay that moment over."

I pull off and just hug him. Holding him in my arms and he mumbles.

He keeps apologizing.

I tell him not to. After all thats what significant others are for --- to share things, to be supportive, to listen and try to understand.

The moment last only a few minutes and then Marine pulled himself together asking that I not tell anybody and that we forget about it.

For the night I respect his wishes.

But the next morning without directly mentioning it I ask if he is ok.

He tells me his and thanks me for listening.

-------------------------------------------

Days pass and neither of us mention it again. But now when people ask him about Afghanistan I want to run up and throw my arms around him. To protect him. I know he thinks about it daily. The things he saw and the people that were lost. But he doesn't tell anybody about that.

His answer is always vague and tells only of positive things.

I am so proud of Marine. It is because of guys like him that we can rest in peace every night.

Thats my being sentimental of the day......

Semper Fi


(I know I'm vague but I feel like even being anonymous I still shouldn't share Marine's secrets ~~~ but I will say proudly that Marine is going to be receiving a special award in the future.)

2 comments:

Kristy @Loveandblasphemy said...

Thanks for stopping by my site! I work in a military district and love working with children in military families. The stress that these families experience is hard to wrap your mind around. I so respect your husband and your family!

E said...

Kristy, thank you so much for the sweet comment!